Yield: 6 Servings
The combination of all the flavours in this Authentic Austrian Beef Goulash is superb! I think I just found my soulmate! I am so excited to share this recipe with you today because I know that you are going to love it! Feel free to add more ingredients if you wish. Enjoy!
1/2 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp (20 g) tomato paste
Clarified butter or vegetable oil
1 tsp hot paprika or a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) whole boneless beef shank (if not available, use shoulder/chuck roast or short rib)
1 3/4 pounds (800 g) of yellow onions
1/2 tbsp caraway seeds or ground caraway seeds (do not substitute cumin)
1/2 tbsp vinegar (any will do)
4 tbsp (30 g) sweet Hungarian paprika
2 bay leaves (optional)
3/4 tsp fine salt
1. Slice the beef into 2-inch cubes. Discard excess fat.
2. Slice the peeled onions into two, then thinly slice them.
3. Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
4. Add one tbsp of clarified butter and allow it to melt.
5. Add the beef and sear both sides for about 10 minutes or until they turn brown. Make sure to sear the meat in batches to prevent overcrowding. Transfer the meat onto a clean plate.
6. In the empty pot, add another tbsp of clarified butter and allow it to melt.
7. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes.
8. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and cook the onions for another 15 minutes or until they caramelize.
9. Add the paprika, caraway seeds, tomato paste, and marjoram. Stir and roast for a minute.
10. Add the vinegar and 1 cup of water right away, then stir until well blended. Simmer for about 15 minutes and reduce its volume.
11. Add one more cup of cold water and stir until well blended.
12. Put the beef cubes back into the pot.
13. Add bay leaves and salt, then stir everything until well blended.
14. Cover the pot and cook the beef cubes for about 3 hours.
15. Serve and enjoy!
This goulash is best-served the next day.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!