Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr | Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins | Yield: 6 Servings
This Authentic New Orleans Style Gumbo is my ultimate comfort food! I am so excited to share this with you today! Oh, man, you need this in your life! Serve it over rice, and you have yourself a meal to remember!
For the Roux:
2/3 c oil (vegetable or canola oil)
1 heaping cup of all-purpose flour
For the Gumbo:
12-oz package of andouille sausages, sliced into ‘coins’ (substitute Polska Kielbasa if you can’t find a good Andouille)
1 large yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
6-8 c Chicken broth *
1 bunch celery, diced, leaves and all
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 c Shrimps, pre-cooked
1-2 tbsp Cajun seasoning *
1 bunch of green onion, finely chopped
cooked white rice for serving
Meat from 1 Rotisserie Chicken*
1. Place a heavy stockpot on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low.
2. Add the oil and allow it to become hot.
3. Add flour, then whisk and cook for a minute to remove the raw taste.
4. Place a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
5. Add the sausage slices and cook each side for about 3 minutes or until they turn brown.
6. Transfer the sausages onto a clean plate.
7. In the same skillet, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and scrape the bottom to get the browned bits. Pour the mixture into the pot.
8. Add the rest of the chicken broth to the pot as well and stir until well blended.
9. Add the veggies, roux, and parsley. Stir everything until well blended.
10. Allow the mixture to boil for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
11. Add the Cajun seasoning and stir until well blended.
12. Add the shrimp, sausage, and chicken. Stir again.
13. Add more seasonings if needed. Make sure to taste first before adding anything.
14. Serve right away with rice and enjoy!
Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 1303mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 38.4mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1.7mg
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!