Yield: 8 Servings
It’s so hard not to fall in love with this spectacular dish! One bite, and this will be your favorite! Try this recipe now. Enjoy!
2 tbsp tomato paste
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 c grated cotija cheese
Zest of one whole lemon, finely grated
1 yellow onion, diced
1 lb. fresh Mexican chorizo, removed from casings (you can also
substitute fresh turkey or chicken, chorizo for a lighter option)
3 c heavy cream
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 lb. box of Barilla Mezzi Rigatoni or other small pasta shapes (like penne or large shells)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely minced + more for garnish
1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika (optional)
1. Place a large pot with 1 gallon of water and 1 1/2 tbsp of salt on the stove and turn the heat to high. Bring the water to a boil.
2. Place a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
3. Add oil and allow it to become hot.
4. Add the onions, then sauté for a few minutes or until soft.
5. Add the chorizo, then cook for 5 minutes or until crumbly and brown.
6. Add chipotle peppers, tomato paste, red bell pepper, garlic, heavy cream, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, paprika, and lemon zest. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to low, then simmer the mixture for about 3 to 5 minutes or until thick and reduced. Stir occasionally, then remove from the heat.
8. In the pot with the boiling water, add the pasta and cook for a few minutes until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water for later use.
9. Add the pasta into the skillet, then toss until well coated by the delicious sauce. Add a bit of pasta water if it gets too dry.
10. Place the skillet back on the stove, then add cilantro and stir until well blended. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
11. Remove the skillet from the stove, then add cotija cheese and stir until well blended. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Make sure to taste first before adding anything.
12. Sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro over each serving to garnish.
13. Serve and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!