Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 2 hrs | Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins | Yield: 8 Servings
The sauce alone of the beef stew is more than enough to make you fall in love with it! The delicious flavors infused in the beef are simply the best! I like eating this with mashed potatoes or bread.
2 tablespoons olive oil to sauté
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 c good dry red wine
6 ounces bacon, chopped into 1/4-inch strips
4 carrots were peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
2 pounds of beef stew meat (or beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces)
1-pound small potatoes new potatoes, or fingerling, halved or quartered
1 pound of mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups low sodium beef broth or beef stock
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground, divided
1. Place a large oven-safe pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
2. Add the bacon, then cook until crispy. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
3. Meanwhile, add the beef to a large bowl.
4. Sprinkle 1 tsp black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup of flour. Toss until well coated.
5. In the pot with the bacon grease, add the beef. Cook each side for about 3 minutes or until brown. Make sure to add oil if necessary. Also, make sure to cook the beef in batches to prevent overcrowding. Add the meat into the bowl with the bacon.
6. In the empty pot, add 2 cups of wine. Scrape the bottom of the pot to get the browned bits. Stir until well blended. Allow the mixture to boil.
7. Add the mushroom slices, then stir until just mixed. Simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Place a large non-stick skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
9. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and allow it to become hot.
10. Add the garlic cloves, carrots, and onion. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until aromatic and soft.
11. Add 1 tbsp of tomato paste, then cook for a minute to remove the raw taste. Move everything into the pot.
12. Add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 4 cups beef broth, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 bay leaves. Stir until well blended.
13. Meanwhile, prepare the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
14. Put the bacon and beef back into the pot.
15. Add the potatoes, then stir until just mixed.
16. Cover the pot, then transfer it to the preheated oven. Cook everything for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the potatoes and beef are fork-tender.
17. Serve and enjoy!
Calories 365 | Calories from Fat 90 | Fat 10g15% | Saturated Fat 2g13% | Cholesterol 70mg23% | Sodium 1479mg64% | Potassium 1194mg34% | Carbohydrates 21g7% | Fiber 3g13% | Sugar 3g3% | Protein 35g70% | Vitamin A 5125IU103% | Vitamin C 16.1 mg20% | Calcium 48mg5% | Iron 3.6 mg20%
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!