Prep Time: 1 hr 20 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins | Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins | Yield: 10 to 12 Servings
This recipe is a must-try! I discovered this last week as I was looking for cake recipes for my daughter’s birthday. She was so happy with her cake! Now, I get to share it with you as well! Have a great day, friends. Enjoy!
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 package Germans sweet chocolate (4 oz)
4 tablespoons chocolate instant pudding mix
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs, separated
1 can(s) evaporated milk (12 oz)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 stick real butter (not margarine)
4 large Egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups toasted sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (save a few 1/2 pieces for garnish)
CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING
16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Cake:
1. Prepare the oven and preheat to 162 degrees C or 325 degrees F.
2. Apply cooking spray and sprinkle cocoa in three 8-inch cake pans.
3. Slice the German chocolate into small pieces.
4. Put the chocolate pieces into a heat-proof bowl, then place int inside the microwave. Heat until the chocolate is melted completely.
5. In a mixing bowl, add the eggs whites and beat until they form stiff peaks.
6. Add sour cream and oil into a large mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
7. Add the melted chocolate and pudding mix. Stir until well combined.
8. Add hot water and the cake mix. Stir until well combined.
9. Add the egg yolks gradually and beat every addition until well mixed. The texture should become smooth and thick.
10. Add the egg whites and whip until well mixed.
11. Fill each prepared pan with the batter and spread it evenly.
12. Place them inside the preheated oven and bake for about 29 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it in the middle.
13. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
For the Filling:
1. Add coconut onto a sheet pan and spread it evenly.
2. In another sheet pan, add the chopped pecans and spread them evenly as well.
3. Place them inside the oven and toast for about 5 minutes.
4. Place a saucepan on the stove, then add the milk, butter, egg yolks, and sugar. Stir until well mixed. Turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and golden brown.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, then add the vanilla extract. Stir until well blended. Allow it to cool for a few minutes.
6. Add toasted coconut and toasted pecans. Stir until well mixed.
For the Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
1. Add the chopped chocolate into a large bowl.
2. Place a saucepan on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
3. Add the cream and allow it to boil. Make sure to stir from time to time.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, then add the chocolate. Stir until melted completely and well mixed.
5. Add vanilla and stir until well blended. Allow the frosting to cool completely for about an hour.
6. Whip the mixture for a few minutes when it’s cooled down.
1. Put the bottom layer onto a clean plate with the cut side up.
2. Add 1 cup of filling on the sides and spread it evenly.
3. Put the second layer on top with the cut facing down.
4. Repeat the process until everything is arranged in layers.
5. Pipe the ganache on the cake. Let your creativity get into work!
6. Serve and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!