Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
This Chicken and Onion Tagine recipe super legit! My friend gave this to me and I am so glad that I gave it a try because I never would have tasted perfection! Oh, man, you have got to give this one a try, I’m telling you! Feel free to add more ingredients if you want. Have a blessed day, friends. Enjoy!
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
5 tablespoons olive oil
4 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
4 skinless bone-in chicken drumsticks
1 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
4 medium yellow onions, cut into 12 wedges each
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lemon, thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
1 1⁄4 c pitted green olives
1⁄3 c finely chopped cilantro
Cooked white rice, for serving
1. Place the garlic onto a chopping board.
2. Sprinkle salt and use the side of the knife to mash the garlic to make a paste.
3. Place the garlic paste into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add paprika, cumin, and turmeric. Stir until well mixed.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of oil and stir until well blended.
6. Add the chicken pieces and toss until well coated with the mixture.
7. Cover everything with plastic wrap, then place it inside the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
8. Place a Dutch oven on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
9. Add the rest of the oil and allow it to become hot.
10. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to cook them in batches.
11. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot onto a clean plate.
12. In the same pot, add the onions, saffron, salt, and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Cook for 15 minutes or until done.
13. Put the chicken pieces back to the pot as well as 1 cup of water and the lemon slices. Stir until just mixed and allow the mixture to boil.
14. Turn the heat down to medium-low, then cover the pot and simmer for 40 minutes or until done.
15. Open the pot, then spread the cilantro and olives on top.
16. Serve hot over rice and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!