Serves: 4 to 6 | Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 1hr 25mins
This simple and warming baked recipe is far more than the sum of its parts. Basic ingredients combine to make a highly satisfying dish; the potatoes and kielbasa cook together with a bit of cheese to make a rich and creamy side dish. However, it can be a one-pan meal if you use an oven-safe pan right from the beginning.
1 tbsp oil
(1) (14 oz) kielbasa, sliced and cut in half
(1) medium-size sweet onion, sliced and cut in half
(6) (about 1/4 inch) medium potatoes – peeled, washed and sliced
2 cups cheddar or favorite shredded cheese
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
3 1/2 tbsp butter
4 1/2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 – 3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Add oil in a medium skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Then, sautee the kielbasa and onions. Occasionally, add and stir until the sausage begins caramelizing, and onions soften. Set aside.
2. Prepare the potatoes by peeling, washing, and slicing the potatoes. You can prepare this ahead, just keep the sliced potatoes in cold water.
3. If using harder potatoes like Russets, you can par-cook to cut down baking time, or boil for 10 minutes to soften.
4. Meanwhile, start preparing the sauce. Add and melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add and stir in the flour and start whisking to make a paste. Cook to eliminate the flour taste for at least a minute. Stir for about 1 1/2 minutes.
5. Gradually add in the broth while whisking to make sure that there are no lumps. Then, add in the cream, milk, and seasonings. Stir until thickened. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
6. Spoon the sauce in the bottom of a 4-quart casserole. Make sure to place enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Then, layer half of the potatoes, kielbasa, and the onion mixture. Add half of the cheese on top.
7. Repeat the same steps for the remaining sauce, potatoes, kielbasa, and cheese. At this point, you need the push some of the potatoes into the white sauce.
8. Add and place casserole inside the oven, covered, and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for another 40 minutes or longer until the potatoes are fork-tender.
9. Once done, remove from the oven and serve with your favorite veggies or a slice of crusty bread. Enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!