Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30mins | Ready In 2 hrs 40 mins
Homemade doughnuts are a little bit of a project, but they are less of a job than you would expect, and the result is a very fine, sweet, crisp doughnut. Once you’ve mastered this simple recipe for a soft, delicious doughnut, and also the glazes, toppings, and fillings, you can do just about anything you want. Try this recipe for Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts, and enjoy it with your loved ones.
(2) (.25 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
1/4 (105 to 115 degrees) cup warm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
5 cups all-purpose flour
1-quart vegetable oil for frying
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp hot water or as needed
1. Add and sprinkle yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2. In a large bowl, mix yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Add and mix for a few minutes at low speed or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Then knead until smooth and elastic for about 5 minutes. Place dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. An indication that the dough is ready is when you touch it, and the indention remains.
3. Then flip the dough out onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness, and cut it with a floured doughnut cutter. Let the doughnuts sit out and rise till double again.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir, one tbsp at a time, in hot water until the icing is a little thin but not watery. Set aside.
5. Add and heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Then slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Then fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown, remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Add and dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Then keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 330 calories; 5.3 g protein; 31 mg cholesterol; 171 mg sodium; 13.4 g fat; 47.3 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!