Prep Time: 2 hrs 30 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Total Time: 5 hrs 55 mins | Yield: 10 to 12 Servings
Layer after layer of sweet and delicious things! This Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake is worth all your time and effort! A must-try recipe indeed!
1/2 c (120ml) buttermilk, at room temperature*
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 c (120ml) hot water or coffee*
3/4 c (180g) full fat sour cream, at room temperature
1 and 3/4 c (219g) all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
3/4 c (62g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 and 3/4 c (350g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c (120ml) canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp espresso powder (optional)*
optional garnish: fresh berries and/or chocolate shavings
optional: 1 c (180g) mini or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp (15g) of confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Two 4-oz. quality semi-sweet chocolate bars (113g each), finely chopped*
2 c (480ml) heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
1/4 c (22g) unsweetened cocoa powder*
1/2 c (120ml) hot water
1 c (240ml) heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
Two 4 oz. quality semi-sweet chocolate bars (113g each), finely chopped*
1. Prepare the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
2. Apply cooking spray to four 9-inch cake pans.
For the Cake:
1. Add sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended.
2. In another mixing bowl, add the sour cream, eggs, and oil. Whisk until well mixed.
3. Add vanilla and buttermilk, then whisk again until well mixed.
4. Transfer the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, then whisk until well blended. Add the chocolate chips and stir until mixed.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
6. Place them inside the preheated oven and bake for about 19 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it in the middle.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool at room temperature.
For the Chocolate Mousse:
1. Add cocoa powder and hot water into a mixing bowl, then stir until blended.
2. Melt the chocolate bars in the microwave. Stir until smooth.
3. Add the cocoa mixture into the bowl with the melted chocolate, then stir until well blended.
4. Add vanilla extract, heavy cream, and confectioners’ sugar into a mixing bowl. Whip for about 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
5. Add the chocolate mixture, then stir until well mixed.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic, then place it inside the fridge to chill for 2 hours or 2 days.
1. Flatten the top of each cake by slicing a thin layer with a serrated knife.
2. Add a cake over a cake stand, then add 1.5 cups of the chocolate mousse on top and spread it evenly. Add another cake over, then repeat the process until all the cakes and chocolate mousse are arranged in layers.
3. Place the cake inside the fridge to chill for 1 hour up to 4 hours.
For the Chocolate Ganache:
1. Add the chopped chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.
2. Place a pan with the cream on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Simmer for a few minutes, then pour it over the chocolate. Stir until well blended. Allow it to cool completely.
3. Add the ganache over the chilled cake and spread it evenly.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Place any leftovers in an airtight container, then place them inside the fridge. They can last up to 5 days.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!