Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins | Yield: 4 Servings
The incredible taste of the caramelized onions combined with bread, broth, and cheese is just too perfect! Enjoy this restaurant-quality dish in the comfort of your home!
4 c beef stock or broth
½ c shredded mozzarella cheese
½ c shredded Gruyere cheese
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ c dry sherry or white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
¼ tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 to 8 slices of crusty bread (such as ciabatta or a French baguette) use 1 to 2 slices per bowl depending on the size of the bread
4 tbsp butter
6 c thinly sliced (⅛ to ¼ inch max) onions, any kind
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat to low.
2. Add butter and allow it to melt.
3. Add the onions, then cook for about 30 to 45 minutes or until they caramelize. Make sure to stir occasionally.
4. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute or until aromatic.
5. Pour in sherry or wine, then scrape the bottom of the pot to get the browned bits. Simmer for a few minutes until the volume of the wine reduces to more than half.
6. Add flour, then whisk and cook for a minute to remove the raw taste.
7. Add thyme and beef stock, then stir until well blended. Allow the mixture to boil.
8. Turn the heat down to low, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Make sure to stir from time to time. Taste, then add salt and pepper if necessary.
9. Place the rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to the broiler.
10. Toast the bread in the broiler or on the stove.
11. Add 4 heat-proof bowls onto a large baking sheet.
12. Fill the bowls with the soup, then top each toasted bread.
13. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of Gruyere cheese and 2 tbsp of mozzarella cheese over each bowl.
14. Place them inside the broiler, then broil for a few minutes until the cheese has melted completely.
15. Remove from the oven.
16. Serve right away. Enjoy!
Feel free to use your preferred onions for this recipe.
Feel free to use Swiss cheese in exchange for Gruyere.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!