Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 75 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 45 mins | Yield: 8 Servings
This recipe may be a lot of work, but I promise you that it is worth all your time and effort! Try this recipe now and prepare to fall in love! Serve this Eggplant Lasagna today and I am sure that you and your loved ones will have a great time. Enjoy!
3 large eggplants (about 3 lbs.)
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil, spray olive oil or ghee
1 tbsp olive oil
one onion, diced
4–8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
6 oz baby spinach, about 2 extra-large handfuls
Salt and pepper to taste ( 1/4 teaspoon each)
16-oz tub of whole milk ricotta (or sub tofu ricotta)
1 large Egg
1/4 c chopped basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
24-oz jar marinara sauce, about 3 c
8 no-boil lasagna noodles (or sub- gluten-free lasagna noodles)
1– 1 1/2 c grated mozzarella (or meltable vegan cheese)
1/4– 1/3 c pecorino (or parm, but I like pecorino better here)
1/4–1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
One batch Arugula Almond Pesto
1 large garlic clove
1/4 c toasted almonds, pinenuts, or smoked almonds
1/2 c packed basil leaves
1 c packed arugula
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3–1/2 c light flavoured olive oil (make sure oil is not bitter)
1/4 tsp salt (if your almonds are heavily salted, use salt to taste.)
1/4 cracked pepper
1. Prepare the oven and preheat to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.
2. Slice the eggplants into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper, then lay the eggplant slices on it.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 of the salt over the eggplant slices.
5. Flip them and sprinkle the rest of the salt on top as well. Leave them to rest for about 20 minutes.
6. Use paper towels to pat dry the eggplant slices, then apply olive oil.
7. Flip them over and use paper towels to pat them dry, then apply olive oil as well.
8. Place them inside the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
For the Spinach Filling:
1. Place a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
2. Add a bit of olive oil and allow it to become hot.
3. Add the onion and garlic, then saute until soft and aromatic.
4. Add the fresh spinach, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until wilted. Remove from the heat.
For the Ricotta Mixture:
1. Add egg, ricotta, basil, nutmeg, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
1. Apply cooking spray in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. Spread 3/4 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom, then arrange the lasagna noodles on top.
3. Spread a bit of marinara sauce over the pasta.
4. Arrange 1/2 of the roasted eggplant over.
5. Drop dots of ricotta mixture about 1/2 of it over the eggplant.
6. Spread the wilted spinach over the ricotta.
7. Sprinkle 1/8 of pecorino and 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
8. Repeat the process until everything is arranged in layers ending with the cheese.
1. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and place it inside the preheated oven. Bake for about 50 minutes.
2. Remove the cover and bake for another 10 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
3. In a food processor, add all the ingredients for the Arugula Pesto. Pulse until the texture becomes smooth. Add more oil if needed.
4. Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes at room temperature.
5. Spread the pesto on top.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Total Fat 19.9g 25% | Saturated Fat 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2g | Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g 0% | Cholesterol 70.7mg 24% | Sodium 722.7mg 31% | Total Carbohydrate 33g 12% | Dietary Fiber 8.4g 30% | Sugars 9.5g | Protein 16.8g 34% | Vitamin A 257.7µg 29% | Vitamin C 13.8mg 15% | Calcium 284.4mg 22% | Iron 1.6mg 9% | Vitamin D 0.7µg 3% | Magnesium 57.3mg 14% | Potassium 666.9mg 14% | Zinc 1.7mg 16% | Niacin (B3) 1.4mg 9% | Vitamin B6 0.3mg 18% | Vitamin B12 0.4µg 17%
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!