Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 3 hrs | Total Time: 3 hrs 15 mins | Yield: 6 Servings
The sauce, meat, and everything about this dish are simply the best! I promise you that 3 hours of cooking time are so worth it. Try it now!
2 heads of garlic, with the tops, removed
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 oz mushrooms, quartered
3 stalks of celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 lbs. beef short ribs, cut into 3–4-inch pieces
3 c beef broth
1 large onion, sliced
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
2 c dry red wine (or more broth)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
1 tsp rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary)
1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Put a large oven-proof pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
2. Add the meat, then cook each side for about 3 minutes or until brown. Transfer onto a clean plate.
3. Leave about 2 tbsp of the accumulated fat from the pan and remove the rest.
4. Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, and onions. Sauté for about 7 to 10 minutes or until soft.
5. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic, then sauté until aromatic.
6. Add the tomato paste, heads of garlic, broth, balsamic vinegar, wine, rosemary, bay leaves, beef, and thyme. Stir until well mixed, then allow the mixture to boil.
7. Turn the heat down to low, then simmer everything for 2 to 3 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
8. Discard the bay leaves, then sprinkle salt and pepper to season.
9. Serve right away over pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. Enjoy!
You finish cooking this in the oven over 350 degrees F for 2 to 3 hours.
You can also use a slow cooker. Cook for about 8 to 10 hours on a low setting or 3 to 4 hours on a high setting.
Calories 738 | Fat 55g (Saturated 23g, Trans 0) | Cholesterol 114mg | Sodium 401mg | Carbs 18g (Fiber 2g, Sugars 6g) | Protein 27g
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!