Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 10mins | Total: 30 mins | Servings: 8 | Yield: 8 servings
As we all know, dandelions are high in protein, calcium, iron, and vitamins A & C. Make sure to pick your blooms from areas not treated with pesticides. This dish tastes like a mushroom, so if you love those mushrooms, I can guarantee that you’ll like this recipe too. Try this recipe for Fried Dandelions (Appalachian Style), and enjoy it with your loved ones.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
(4) large eggs
(80) flowers unopened dandelion blossoms stems removed
½ cup butter
1. Add and combine flour, seasoned salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl until evenly combined, set aside. Then beat eggs in a mixing bowl, stir in the dandelion blossoms until completely coated.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove half of the dandelions from the egg, and allow the excess egg to drip away. Add and toss in the flour until completely coated, then remove from the flour, tossing between your hands to allow excess flour to fall away. Cook dandelions in the melted butter until golden brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining dandelions.
1. Prepare the dandelion flowers in advance by immersing them in a bowl of water at room temperature with around a tbsp of salt added to the water. It rids off any insect inside the blossom. Soak in for 10 minutes. The flowers are rinsed in fresh water. The dandelion flowers are beautifully rinsed and dried using a salad spinner.
2. There is a variation of the dandelion with a thin solid stalk, and this is not the flower to be used. Make sure you have the tubular stalk on the dandelions you use.
3. You can use canola or vegetable oil can be used as a choice to fry in the dandelions, but the taste may change accordingly. Try to add and season with any other spices, such as garlic powder, to taste.
Per Serving: 265.8 calories; fat 14.5g 22% DV; cholesterol 123.5mg 41% DV; sodium 821.1mg 33% DV; protein 7.2g 14% DV; carbohydrates 27.2g 9% DV.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!