Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 45mins | Total: 1 hr 10 mins | Serving: 10 | Yield: 1 9×13-inch baking dish
Have you ever heard about this recipe for Fried Green Tomato Parmesan? If not, then you’re lucky because I’ll be sharing with you our family recipe for this dish. Fried Green Tomatoes is a traditional recipe that is tender and juicy indoors and crispy and tasty outdoors. Add melted mozzarella cheese and spaghetti sauce, and you’ll think you’ve gone to heaven and died, not literally, but you’ll feel somewhat that way. Our recipe can be traced from my great grandfather, his family runs a small tomato plantation, which is still in operation, and because their supply for tomatoes is neverending, my grandfather’s father thought of a way to cook it.
Our family serves this dish during gatherings, especially when summer comes because it is the time where we visit the plantation and pick some tomatoes. After picking some tomatoes, we hurriedly go and see our grandma to cook her specialty, Fried Green Tomato Parmesan. Remembering it now gave me a nostalgic feeling because it is one of the memories that I treasure the most.
(2) large eggs
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
(10) medium (blank)s green tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
(1) (16 oz) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
½ tsp dried basil
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Add and whisk eggs in a small bowl until smooth. Add and pour bread crumbs into a shallow dish, and then dip each tomato slice in the egg, and coat with bread crumbs. Put it on baking sheets in one layer.
3. Bake until golden for 5 minutes per side in the preheated oven.
4. Add and pour 3 cups spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add a layer of tomato slices on top and then layer half of the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese on top.
5. Bake until golden brown for 35 minutes in the preheated oven.
Per Serving: 481.8 calories; 72.8 mg cholesterol; 1675.2 mg sodium; 24.4 g protein; 60.5 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!