Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35mins | Total: 45 mins | Servings: 10 | Yield: 10 servings
This hearty combination of seasoned ground beef, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, and cabbage is a simple main dish serving a small crowd. The flavors are reminiscent of cabbage rolls, except the casserole can be put together much faster and easier. It is a naturally gluten-free and grain-free dish, topped with cheddar cheese. My children love this too, which makes me happy because they enjoy the food that I love. It’s a tasty dish for an everyday meal. Cooking meals such as Ground Beef and Cabbage is an easy way to stretch your budget without sacrificing taste. The ingredients are cheap, and a few basic spices make them easy to flavor, and a must-try.
1 tbsp olive oil
(1) large onion, chopped
1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp Italian seasoning
(1) pinch salt and pepper to taste
(1) small head cabbage, chopped
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
1. Add and heat olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot or a 6-quart Dutch oven. Cook, stir onion in hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Then break ground beef into small chunks and add to the pot. Cook and stir, continuing to break the beef into smaller pieces until the beef is completely brown for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add and season the beef mixture with garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and a dash of salt. Then stir cabbage, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce with the beef mixture. Let it boil, lower the heat to low, and cook mixture at a simmer until cabbage is fork-tender, about 25 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
1. This meal is almost complete on its own, but it would be nice to have a side of mashed potatoes or rice or serve it over some buttered noodles. The crispy bacon on top is optional, but I think it’s a great addition to the salty crunch.
2. Of course, it would be nice to have some dinner rolls or a loaf of crusty French bread too.
Per Serving: 178 calories; fat 9.7g 15% DV; cholesterol 42.6mg 14% DV; sodium 204.4mg 8% DV; protein 13.3g 27% DV; carbohydrates 8.7g 3% DV.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!