Serves: 4 to 6 | Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 1hr 30mins
The traditional scalloped potatoes are ridiculously delicious when made from scratch; add ham to the situation — as is a staple in my family — and it becomes a homey casserole, which is the perfect crowd-friendly side dish, or even a standalone main. Try this recipe for Homemade Ham and Scalloped Potatoes, and enjoy it with your family and friends.
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
3 cup milk
salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter (for sauteed onions)
(3) medium onions (thinly sliced)
(8) medium peeled and thinly sliced Russett potatoes
(24 oz) sliced ham (2 ham steaks cubed)
4 cups freshly grated mild cheddar
1. Prepare the oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Then, butter a deep 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
3. Add and melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
4. Once melted, add and stir in the flour and continue cooking for a minute.
5. After a minute, remove the pan from the heat, add and whisk in the milk. Move the pan to the heat and let the mixture simmer while stirring.
6. Once the sauce thickens, remove the pan from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
7. Meanwhile, add and cook onions in a skillet with melted butter until golden brown. Add and sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
8. Spoon 1/3 of the white sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add and spread the white sauce and top with half of the potatoes.
9. Place half of the onions, ham, cheese, and 1/3 of the sauce on top. Spread and season with salt and pepper.
10. Do the same layering for the rest of the ingredients ending with the cheese on top.
11. Add and place inside the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
12. Take it away from the oven and allow it to sit so that the sauce thickens for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
I do want to grate the cheese freshly for hot dishes, as already shredded cheeses usually add a wax-like film, hence disrupting proper melting.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!