This dish is my ultimate comfort food! When I was a kid whenever I’m upset, my Grandma would always cook this for me. I would feel better with just one bite! Here you go, friends. This Hungarian Chicken Paprikash! I hope it makes you feel good today! Have a wonderful day. Enjoy!
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 whole cut-up chicken (skin intact)
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
3 chicken bullion cubes (or more to taste; 1 per cup of water added)
1 pt. sour cream
1/2 pt. water
4 tablespoons flour (or more to thicken if you like)
3 teaspoons Lawry’s seasoning salt (optional, but adds flavour!)
FOR THE DUMPLINGS:
3 cups water
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Place a pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
2. Add oil and allow it to become hot.
3. Add the onion and saute until soft.
4. Add paprika and stir until well mixed.
5. Add the chicken pieces into the pot and cook each side for a few minutes until brown. Add more oil if needed.
6. Add enough water to submerge the chicken. Allow the water to boil.
7. Add the bullion cubes and stir until well mixed.
8. Cover the pot and allow the mixture to simmer for about 25 minutes.
9. In a mixing bowl, add water, flour, and sour cream. Stir until well mixed.
10. Remove the cooked chicken from the pot onto a colander and allow them to cool.
11. In the same pot, gradually add the sour cream mixture and stir every addition until well blended.
To Make the Dumplings:
1. Place another pot with water on the stove and turn the heat to high. Allow the water to boil.
2. In a mixing bowl, add water, flour, salt, and eggs. Stir until well mixed.
3. Spoon the batter and drop each into the hot water.
4. Cook the dumplings for 7 minutes or until they float.
5. Drain the dumplings and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
6. Put the dumplings into serving bowls, then pour the delicious sauce over each bowl.
7. Serve the dumplings with the chicken.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!