Prep: 1hr | Cook: 1hr | Additional: 2hrs | Total: 4hrs | Serving: 12 | Yield: 1- 4 layer 8-inch cake
Lemon Cake is by far the most enjoyable cake in our family. It started with my grandmother, who loved to bake. She said my dad was in love with this cake the first time he tried it. This cake is solely dependent on the lemon flavor, it uses lemon for the cake filling, and even the frosting.
(2) cups Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, bleached
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt, table
½ cup Butter, with salt
(1 ¼) cups Sugars, granulated
(3) Egg, whole, raw, fresh
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup of milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
For the Filling:
1 tbsp Lemon peel, raw
½ cup Lemon juice, raw
1 tbsp Cornstarch
6 tbsp of butter, with salt
¾ cup Sugars, granulated
(4) Egg, yolk, raw, fresh
For the Frosting:
4 cups Sugars, powdered
½ cup Butter, with salt
2 tbsp Lemon juice, raw
1 tsp Lemon peel, raw
2 tbsp Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans. Add and mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy for 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. In the preheated oven, bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean for 30 minutes. Let it cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
4. To make the filling: Add and mix a tbsp of lemon zest, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and a tbsp of cornstarch until smooth in a medium saucepan. Mix in 6 tbsp of butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until smooth with a wire whisk. Add and whisk in a small amount of the hot lemon mixture. Pour egg mixture into the saucepan, beating the hot lemon mixture rapidly. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until thick (not to boil)., stirring constantly.
5. Pour mixture into a medium bowl. Press the plastic wrap to keep skin from forming as it cools onto the surface. Cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
6. To make the frosting: Beat confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and a tsp lemon zest until smooth in a large bowl. Add and beat in milk, and increase speed, and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
7. To assemble: Split each cake layer with a long serrated knife in half horizontally, making (4) layers. Place a layer on a serving plate, cut side up. Add another layer on top, and spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Add the third layer, and spread with the remaining half of the lemon filling. Press on the final cake layer and frost top and sides of the cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate cake until serving time.
Per Serving: 601.2 calories; 172.5 mg cholesterol; 434.2 mg sodium; 5.6 g protein; 92.5 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!