This is the way my mother and my grandmother always made their potato salad. A really nice side dish to go with BBQ! Not bad with fried chicken or for the holiday meals either. I’m sure this basic recipe has be around forever. It’s tried and true in our household and the only way our family eats potato salad. Hope you enjoy!
5 lb idaho potatoes, peel and cubed
1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 c sweet pickle cubes or relish
1/2 c dill pickle cubes or relish
1 stalk(s) celery, diced, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1.5-2 c hellman’s mayonnaise
1.5-2 Tbsp mustard
paprika, for garnish, optional
1 hard boiled egg, sliced, for garnish, optional
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes; place in a 5 quart pot, cover with water (I add some salt to water); boil for approximately 7 to 8 minutes (time may vary so check for firmness around 5 to 6 minutes, don’t over cook and don’t under cook, you don’t want mashed potato salad and you don’t want under cooked potatoes; drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
2. While potatoes are draining and cooling off; combine chopped onion and eggs; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine pickles, celery, salt and pepper, mustard and mayonnaise.
4. Once potatoes are cooled; add chopped onion and eggs; fold together gently; add mayonnaise mixture and combine gently with other ingredients; if salad seems like you don’t need all the mayonnaise mixture; don’t use it all, if salad seems to dry, add additional mayonnaise.
5. Garnish top with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkle with paprika if desired.
6. Pretty good with Crock Pot BBQ Chicken and some baked beans on the side…yum!!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!