Nachos and Mediterranean cuisine are two of life’s greatest culinary delights, so making this fusion dish was unavoidable. These pita chips are filled with fresh vegetables and spices, as well as protein from chickpeas and Greek yogurt, rather than a traditional nachos plate that is chock-full of salt, saturated fat, and more than 700 calories per serving. They make a beautiful appetizer for a party, or just throw some chicken shawarma on if you want to turn them into a hearty dinner meal.
(1) (7-oz) bag whole-wheat pita chips
(2) diced plum tomatoes
(1/2) medium red onion, chopped
(1/2) medium cucumber, chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, add an extra drizzle for garnish
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
(1) (15-oz) can unsalted chickpeas (add some of the draining liquid for texture)
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice, add additional slices for garnish
(2) cloves garlic
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup 2% low-fat Greek yogurt
1 tbsp chopped dill
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped mint
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup black olives, canned, pitted, chopped
1. Set oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Make tomato-cucumber “salsa” by mixing tomato, cucumber, onion, a tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and 2 tbsp red wine vinegar. Let it stay inside the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Make hummus by combining chickpeas, tahini, a tbsp lemon juice, garlic cloves, and salt in a food processor. To thin out hummus, use the drained liquid from chickpeas as needed. The hummus will be thin enough over nachos to drizzle over.
4. Make yogurt sauce by combining yogurt, a tbsp lemon juice, dill, parsley, mint, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, and a tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
5. Arrange the Pita chips lined with parchment paper on a baking sheet.
6. Add and sprinkle feta and mozzarella cheese on top of chips. Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
7. Add nachos with hummus, yogurt sauce, and tomato-cucumber salsa by the spoonful on top. Add and sprinkle with olives, lemon slices, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Per Serving: CALORIES 419; FAT 22.g (sat 5.0g, mono 5.6g, poly 2.4g); FIBER 6g; SUGARS 6g; CHOL 19mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 624mg; CALC 195mg; PROTEIN 15g; CARB 42g.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!