Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr | Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins | Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
This dish is perfect pretty much any time of the day and year! Try this recipe now and prepare to fall in love! I have listed all the ingredients and directions so all you have to do is to follow them step by step and you are good to go! Have a beautiful day, friends. Enjoy!
4-5 slices bacon (I use thick-cut)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c brown rice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (plus extra for a casserole, if needed)
4 c collard greens, stems removed and thinly sliced
2 cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
2 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 c sliced green onions
1. Place a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
2. Add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy.
3. Remove from the skillet onto a clean plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess grease. Crumble and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, add the sliced onion and sauté until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic.
6. Add the rice, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Toss until the rice is well coated.
7. Add the chicken broth and stir until just mixed, then allow the mixture to boil.
8. Cover the skillet and turn the heat down to low. Cook for about 2 minutes.
9. Prepare the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
10. Apply cooking spray in a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
11. Remove the cover of the pot, then add the rice and sliced collard greens. Stir until well combined.
12. Remove the pot from the heat, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
13. Transfer everything into a large mixing bowl, then add the black-eyed peas and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir until well combined.
14. Transfer the mixture into the greased casserole dish and spread it evenly.
15. Prepare the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
16. Place it inside the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
17. Sprinkle more cheddar cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes or until melted completely.
18. Sprinkle the reserved crumbled bacon and green onions on top.
19. Serve with hot sauce and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 563 | TOTAL FAT: 24g | SATURATED FAT: 11g | CHOLESTEROL: 52mg | SODIUM: 970mg | FIBER: 8g | SUGAR: 1g | PROTEIN: 26g
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!