Serves: 4 to 6 | Prep: 1 hr | Cook: 5mins
These Old-Fashioned Candied Sweet Potatoes are my favorite snacks growing up. My parents’ work is quite hectic that they agreed to allow me to stay with my grandparents. I learned a lot of things to be with them, from house chores to becoming a responsible person, to sum up, they thought me to live my life without regrets.
I remember they used to make this Old-Fashioned Candied Sweet Potatoes for our snack, I don’t know why, but I loved it. They say it’s healthier than manufactured candies, which I truly loved, and it makes you full. There’s nothing more soothing and delicious than these candied or caramelized sweet potatoes. The tender potatoes paired with the sugar and nutmeg make these the best Old-Fashioned Candied Sweet Potatoes. Try this recipe for Old-Fashioned Candied Sweet Potatoes, and enjoy it with your family and friends.
(4 to 6) sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 c sugar
(1) (1/2 cup) stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 to 1 tsp of nutmeg (You don’t need much, because it is intense)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1. In a large (cast iron) skillet, add and melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add sliced potatoes to butter and toss to coat.
3. In a bowl, mix sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add to potatoes. Toss to coat.
5. Lower heat to low heat, cook and let it simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork-tender for an hour, stirring occasionally.
1. The thinner and smaller, the more likely they would become mushy and split up into mashed sweet potatoes.
2. Use a vegetable peeler, and peel the potatoes as you would a carrot from end to end.
3. You don’t need to boil the sweet potatoes beforehand. It is not necessary to do that because it will soften while cooking.
4. For a big crowd, just double the ingredients. If needed, you can cook it in 2 batches.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!