Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 1hr | Additional: 1 hr | Total: 2 hrs 20 mins | Servings: 8 | Yield: 1 9-inch pie
You won’t find any obtuse strawberries trying to snatch the show here, I don’t even allow a double crust or topping with crumbs. It is just a simple pie enveloped in rich, fresh strawberries, with delicious bits of tart rhubarb.
Like rhubarb, this pie is modest, easy to love, and ready to take anywhere. The bottom line is to make your pastry as sweet or tart as you want. It is a very forgiving recipe. Feel free to use a full cup of sugar anytime, from a half cup. Try this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Pie, and enjoy it with your family and friends.
(1) (9 inches) unbaked pie crust
3 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
(3) large eggs
1 ½ cups white sugar
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp of all-purpose flour
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp butter, diced
2 tbsp strawberry jam
¼ tsp water
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place rolled-out pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and set on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Combine rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl, transfer to the pie crust, distributing evenly.
3. Whisk eggs, sugar, milk, flour, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Pour slowly filling over the rhubarb mixture until it just reaches the top edge of the crust. Scatter the diced butter evenly over the top of the filling. Then lightly tap and shake the baking sheet to remove any air bubbles.
4. Transfer pie and bake turning halfway through in the preheated oven, until rhubarb is tender and custard is set for an hour.
5. Add and mix strawberry jam and water in a small bowl, and then heat in the microwave until warm for 15 seconds. Then glaze the pie with jam mixture on top then let it cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per Serving: 341.9 calories; fat 11.1g 17% DV; cholesterol 74mg 25% DV; sodium 159.4mg 6% DV; protein 4.8g 10% DV; carbohydrates 57.4g 19% DV.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!