Zucchini and goat cheese, the perfect nutritious vegetable summer side dish to make great use of the zucchini and mint season.
ZUCCHINI AND GOAT CHEESE FRITTERS :
These fritters are served hot with a dollop of sour cream, plain yogurt, mushroom gravy, or as plain as they are. They would pair perfectly with anything you grill.
Since these zucchini fritters are fried, it’s best to use a couple of layers of paper towel to remove any excess frying oil.
These fritters are healthy, made with whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour mix, the zucchini fritters are then cooked in a skillet with a little olive oil until golden.
Zucchini makes a nutritious vegetable side dish or a yummy casserole. If you are not a big fan of fried foods, then you can try baked zucchini fritters, by making this same recipe but instead of frying them in the pan put the mix in a casserole dish then place it in the oven for about 35 min, it is so yummy and healthful!
TIPS AND VARIATIONS:
- Instead of mint, you can use fresh dill.
- It is very crucial to squeeze out all the liquid from the zucchini so that they hold together without having any excess water leaking while frying them.
- To make sure the center of the fritters cooks through, flatten the batter in the skillet with the back of a measuring cup.
- It is best to serve the zucchini fritters hot, and choose the dipping sauce of your choice. we suggest the Tzatziki sauce.
- You can make some modifications to the original recipe by adding other veggies to the mix to suit your taste, shredded carrots, for example, just make sure you squeeze out any excess liquid.
A serving of goat cheese delivers 6 grams of filling protein along with a powerful combination of calcium, phosphorus, and copper, these nutrients are essential for healthy bones. Plus, goat cheese provides healthy fats, including medium-chain fatty acids, that can improve satiety and benefit weight loss. If you don’t have goat cheese on hand at the moment, don’t worry, you can use feta cheese or cottage cheese instead, they will still taste great.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI AND GOAT CHEESE FRITTERS :
Zucchini and Goat Cheese Fritters
- 3 medium zucchini about 1½ pounds
- 2 Large eggs whisked
- ½ cup Crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup Diced yellow onion
- ⅓ cup Fresh mint leaves chopped
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Shred the zucchini using a large eye grater, over a colander.
- Squeeze out moisture from the mixture, using a clean kitchen towel, squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Place squeezed zucchini in a medium bowl, beat egg slightly, and add to zucchini, goat cheese, mint, onion, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a sauce pan.
- Drop 1/4 cup mounds of zucchini mixture into the hot oil, .repeating to make as many patties as will fit in the skillet, about 4 at a time.
- Flatten them with the back of a spoon to form pancakes, and spread them about 1/2 inch apart, so they don't stick together, and are easy to turn over and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked all the way through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove them onto a plate lined with a double layer of paper towel, to absorb any extra oil.