‘Great northern’ beans, also known as ‘large white’ beans, are also larger than navy beans but smaller than cannellini beans, with a lima-like flattened shape. They have a sensitive flavor. These 4-Ingredients Crock Pot Great Northern Beans are put together beautifully and cook to perfection. An easy recipe that takes time to cook, just add it all together, forget it, and it’s waiting before you know it. This Crockpot Great Northern Beans makes a lovely dinner for the family. I’m sure everyone would agree that nothing beats a hearty, heart-warming classic dinner shared and enjoyed by friends and family.
1 (16 oz) package dried northern beans
(3 4) (about 1 1/2 lbs) of meaty ham hock shank or meaty ham bone
(1) small onion diced water enough to cover beans salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1. First, you have to make sure to sort the beans for any pebbles, and then rinse them under cold water.
2. Add and place the beans into the crockpot, season with salt and pepper. Then, add the ham shanks hocks or chopped ham (chopped them into big chunks), and then add in water by 2 inches (around 6 to 8 cups of water) enough to cover the beans.
3. Cover, cook it in the crockpot in high heat for the first 2 hours, and in low heat for the remaining time. Cook until the beans are tender for 4 to 5 hours.
4. After the beans are soft, remove the ham shanks or hocks and pull off the meat.
5. Add and place the pull off meat back into the crockpot, and add brown sugar. You may want to extract one cup of the juice before adding it to brown sugar, depending on how thin or thick your beans are. Lightly mix to combine.
6. Once done, add and pour yourself some in a bowl and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!