Cookies are universally cherished treats, with each variety offering a unique flavor and texture. Bergers-Style Cookies stand out with their soft texture and a lavish frosting topping. These cookies are not just sweet treats; they’re a blend of tradition, flavor, and culinary art. Whether you’re a baking novice or a seasoned chef, this recipe is bound to become a favorite. Let’s get baking!
- For the Cookies:
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (assumed from context)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ½ tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (assumed from context)
- For the Frosting:
- 3 cups (18 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅔ cups (5 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder (assumed from context)
- 1 ¼ cups (5 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Introduce the egg white, cream, and vanilla, beating until combined. On low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, ensuring it’s well incorporated.
- Roll the dough into balls using a heaping tablespoon for each. Arrange them 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets, with 12 per sheet. Moisten your fingers and flatten these balls into disks about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches in diameter. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges start browning. Rotate the sheet halfway through baking. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the sheet.
- Craft the Frosting: In a large bowl, combine chocolate chips, cream, and salt. Microwave this mixture at 50% power, stirring occasionally until smooth (1 to 3 minutes). Whisk in the cocoa, sugar, and vanilla until you achieve a smooth consistency. The frosting should resemble a thick brownie batter and be around 95°F (35°C).
- Turn the cookies over on the sheets. Spoon 2 tablespoons of frosting on each cookie’s flat side, forming a mound. Allow the cookies to sit at room temperature until the frosting sets, about 3 hours.
Bergers-Style Cookies are a delightful blend of soft cookie base and rich chocolate frosting. They’re perfect for festive occasions, tea time, or simply as a treat to satisfy your sweet cravings. Remember, the texture of the frosting is crucial; it should be thick like a brownie batter. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family. We’d love to hear your feedback and any variations you might try!