Who doesn’t love the delightful burst of blueberries in every bite of a moist cake? Introducing the Blueberry Buttermilk Cake – a harmonious blend of tart blueberries, rich buttermilk, and a soft, fluffy cake base. This cake is the epitome of simple elegance and is perfect for both casual mornings and grand celebrations. Let’s embark on a journey to create this tantalizing treat that promises to transport you to blueberry heaven!
- Fresh blueberries: 1 1/2 cups
- All-purpose flour: 2 1/2 cups
- Baking powder: 2 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Granulated sugar: 1 1/4 cups
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Unsalted butter, softened: 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- Large eggs: 2
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Buttermilk: 1 cup
- Oven & Pan: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Meanwhile, grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Flour Mix: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. This ensures even distribution of the raising agents.
- Lemon Sugar: In a separate bowl, rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers until fragrant and integrated.
- Butter Blend: Add the softened butter to the lemon sugar mixture and beat until it becomes pale and fluffy. This might take around 3-4 minutes. Then, add the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each is incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate Additions: Gradually mix in the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Start and end with the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries gently.
- Baking Time: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, leveling the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cooling: Once baked, let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Conclusion: This Blueberry Buttermilk Cake isn’t just a dessert; it’s an experience! Each bite promises the sweetness of blueberries, the tang of buttermilk, and the comfort of a homemade cake. It’s perfect with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Don’t keep this gem to yourself – share the recipe with loved ones and spread the joy!