Braised beef is a beloved dish enjoyed by culinary enthusiasts worldwide. Its rich, tender meat, combined with a savory sauce and perfectly cooked vegetables, makes it a meal to remember. Whether you’re using beef brisket, bottom and top round, or chicken eye roast, the outcome is a melt-in-the-mouth experience. Dive into this recipe, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and loved ones. Everyone deserves a taste of this classic!
For Browning the Meat:
- 3 to 4 pounds chuck roast, tied
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for browning
For the Sauce and Cooking:
- Thinly sliced onions
- Chopped carrots
- Bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Water, as needed
- Baby potatoes
- Start by browning your meat. Achieving a rich brown color is crucial for the dish’s final flavor. Heat olive oil in a pot, season the meat with salt and pepper, then place it in the pot. Brown for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the browned meat and set it aside on a baking sheet. In the same pot, sauté thinly sliced onions, chopped carrots, and bay leaves until the onions become translucent, around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of flour to the mixture, cooking briefly to remove the raw flour taste. This step ensures a thick and creamy sauce later on.
- Pour in water and the red wine vinegar to introduce a touch of acidity. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Submerge the meat so that the liquid covers about an inch of it. Cover the pot and let it simmer, turning the meat every 30 minutes for about 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Once the meat is tender, remove it and strain the gravy. Return the gravy to the pot and add the garnishing vegetables: carrots, turnips, and baby potatoes. When it starts simmering again, reintroduce the meat and let it cook with the vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Before serving, let the meat rest for about 15 minutes. This ensures that when you slice it, it retains its structure. Serve the sliced beef with the vegetables and generously drizzle with the sauce.
This braised beef recipe is a versatile masterpiece. It pairs wonderfully with various sides—be it bread, rice, or even a light salad. While the vegetables add a delightful texture and taste, you can omit them if they’re not to your liking. Remember to share this delectable recipe and drop your feedback in the comments!