Baking a cake is an art, and when it comes to combining the earthy sweetness of carrots with the indulgent creaminess of cream cheese frosting, it becomes a masterpiece. Hailing from traditions that appreciate simplicity paired with flavor, the Carrot Tea Cake is not just a dessert; it’s an experience. So, if you’re seeking a dessert that’s as comforting as it is delicious, you’ve found your match. Let’s embark on this baking journey together, and remember, happiness, like cake, is better when shared!
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (plus extra for the pan)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) (plus more for the pan)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed grated carrots (from about 2 carrots)
- For the Frosting:
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Cake Preparation: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour a 6-cup cake pan for easy removal of the cake later.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until uniformly mixed.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until the mixture turns light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the grated carrots, ensuring they’re evenly distributed.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting Preparation: In a clean mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with the confectioners’ sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and blend it in.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, generously spread the cream cheese frosting over the top. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- Carrot’s Role: Carrots not only provide a unique sweetness to the cake but also keep it moist, making every bite soft and delightful.
- Serving Suggestions: This cake pairs beautifully with a cup of herbal tea or coffee. You can also garnish it with some chopped nuts or coconut flakes for added texture.
- Storage Tips: If you have leftovers, store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The flavors meld beautifully over time, making it even more delicious the next day.
The Carrot Tea Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting offers a delightful blend of flavors, textures, and pure joy. So, whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just craving something sweet, this cake promises to be a crowd-pleaser. If you loved baking and savoring this cake, spread the joy by sharing this recipe with your friends and family!