There’s something truly magical about a fluffy chocolate cake that melts in your mouth. This Chocolate Pillow Cake, with its soft and airy texture, promises a bite that feels like a dream. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just indulging in a mid-week treat, this cake is sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings. Dive into this recipe, and don’t forget to share the joy by passing it along to friends and family.
- 3 large eggs
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 8g cocoa powder
- 50ml milk
- 50g cake flour
- 5g corn flour
- 45g caster sugar
- A few drops of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (plus a few extra for topping)
- Preparing the Base: Begin by separating the 3 egg whites from the yolks. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and cocoa powder. Gradually introduce the milk, continuing to whisk for about 3 minutes until you achieve a smooth mixture.
- Sifting in Flours: Sift in the cake flour and corn flour in two batches. This ensures an even blend without any lumps. Once all the flour is incorporated, introduce the egg yolks one by one, ensuring each yolk blends seamlessly into the mixture.
- Meringue Magic: In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, adding a few drops of lemon juice. Start on high speed until bubbles form. Gradually add the caster sugar in three portions. Once all the sugar is added, switch to low speed and whisk until you achieve stiff peaks. For added stability, fold in a small batch of cornflour and whisk for another minute.
- Combining Mixtures: Gently fold a third of the meringue into the cocoa mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the remaining meringue, folding until you have a uniform, smooth batter.
- Adding Chocolate Chips: Sprinkle in a quarter cup of chocolate chips and fold them into the batter. This adds delightful chocolatey bursts in every bite.
- Baking: Pour the batter into a parchment-lined baking mold (15cm x 9cm x 7.5cm). Give the mold a few gentle taps to release any trapped air bubbles. For a visual treat, sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 155°C (310°F) for about 65 minutes.
- Cooling Tip: Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and swiftly transfer it to a cooling rack. It’s essential to cool it upside down to retain its fluffy structure and prevent any collapse.
The Chocolate Pillow Cake is versatile in its simplicity. Enjoy it plain, paired with a warm cup of tea, or elevate it with a dollop of your favorite cream. The softness of the cake combined with the rich flavor of chocolate promises a delightful experience. We’d love to hear about your baking adventures, so don’t forget to share your creations and spread the joy of this recipe!