One of the most iconic and hearty sandwiches from the streets of America has to be the Chopped Cheese Sandwich. Known for its rich flavors and fulfilling ingredients, this sandwich is a true testament to the essence of American fast food culture. This recipe, inspired by America’s Test Kitchen, is tailored to deliver the authentic taste and experience of the famed sandwich. So, if you’re looking to bring a piece of American street food culture to your kitchen, you’re in for a treat!
- 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 4 (8-inch) sub rolls, split
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 slices of yellow American cheese (8 ounces)
- 12 thin tomato slices (approx. from 2 tomatoes)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, combine the ground beef, finely chopped onion, Goya seasoning, and Lawry’s seasoned salt. Over medium-high heat, cook the mixture. Make sure to constantly break the beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Continue this process until the beef is thoroughly cooked, which should take about 8 minutes.
- Place the sub rolls on a baking sheet and generously spread mayonnaise and ketchup on their cut sides.
- Evenly divide the beef mixture among the rolls, ensuring a generous spread. Place 2 slices of American cheese over the beef on each roll.
- Bake the sandwiches until the bread feels warm and the cheese has melted beautifully, which would take about 5 minutes.
- Add layers of sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce over the melted cheese.
- To assemble your sandwich, close it carefully, ensuring all the ingredients stay well-contained within the roll. The sandwich will be quite full, so handle it with care.
- To serve, tightly wrap each sandwich in a 16 by 12-inch parchment paper sheet. If you’re looking to enjoy it later, this wrapping method also makes it travel-friendly. When you’re ready to dive in, simply cut the sandwich in half through the parchment paper and unwrap it as you devour.
- Wrapping Tip: Wrapping the sandwich in butcher paper is also an excellent alternative to parchment paper.
- Seasoning Notes: The Goya seasoning is often found in the international section of grocery stores, while Lawry’s Seasoned Salt is usually among other salt blends.
- Serving Suggestion: This sandwich is best enjoyed while it’s still warm. The melty cheese, combined with the fresh veggies and seasoned beef, creates a symphony of flavors.
Indulge in the rich flavors of this Chopped Cheese Sandwich and reminisce about the bustling streets of America. If this recipe brings joy to your table, do share it with your friends and loved ones!