Indulge in the simplicity and elegance of a classic dessert with our Timeless Vanilla Sponge Cake. This cake offers a soft, moist crumb that remains delectable throughout the week without drying out. Its versatile base can be enhanced with your favorite add-ins like dried fruits, nuts, or chocolate chips. Follow our comprehensive guide to bake this delightful cake in the comfort of your kitchen.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 16 ounces (454 g/ 2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 10 ounces (284 g/ 1 1/8 Cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 14 ounces (397 g/ 1 2/3 cups) of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 8 ounces (227 g/ 1 Cup) of buttermilk at room temperature
- 3 ounces (85 ml) of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare Your Ingredients: Ensure that all your cold ingredients are at room temperature, and weigh them (including liquids) for the best results.
- Preheat the Oven: Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat to 350ºF (175°C).
- Prepare the Cake Pan: Generously butter the inside of your chosen cake pan.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: Place softened butter in the bowl of your stand mixer and cream until smooth on low. Gradually add sugar, continuing to cream until light and fluffy. This may take about 5 minutes.
- Add Eggs: While mixing on low, add room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to incorporate fully before adding the next.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Alternate Additions: Starting and ending with the dry ingredients, alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the liquid mixture to the butter mixture. Mix just until combined, ensuring there are no lumps in the batter. Be mindful not to over-mix.
- Add Optional Ingredients: If desired, fold in any additional ingredients like dried fruits, nuts, or chocolate chips.
- Pour and Bake: Pour the thick batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove the cake from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely.
Serve this Timeless Vanilla Sponge Cake as a simple treat with tea or coffee, or elevate it with your favorite frosting or glaze. Its classic flavor and beautiful texture make it an ideal choice for any occasion. Enjoy the versatility and comfort of this evergreen recipe. Happy baking!