Yield: 4 Servings
This awesome soup is my ultimate comfort food! Whenever I feel homesick, I cook this Crab and Sweet Corn Soup because it tastes and feels like home! Give it a try and prepare to be amazed. Enjoy!
2 lbs Red King crab, legs and claws, meat separated from the shells, all bits of shell and cartilage removed, shells reserved
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 1/2-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
2 tsp peppercorns
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 sprigs of fresh parsley
2 quarts water
Salt, to taste
4 medium ears fresh corn
2 tbsp olive oil
1 c shallots, chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced, divided
1/3 c dry sherry
1 roasted red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
Black pepper, freshly ground
2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
2 to 4 tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed, to taste
1. Place a large pot on the stove, then add the crab shells.
2. Add all the ingredients for the stock over the crab shells.
3. Turn the heat to high, then allow the mixture to boil.
4. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about an hour.
5. Use a strainer to strain the stock. Sprinkle salt to taste.
6. Slice the kernels to the ears. Place them into a large mixing bowl.
7. Extract the cobs and place them into a mixing bowl, then add the corn kernels.
8. Place a pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
9. Add olive oil and allow it to become hot.
10. Add the shallots and sauté for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
11. Add 1 1/2 tsp of thyme and tomato paste. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
12. Add the dry sherry and stir until well blended. Make sure to scrape the bottom to get the brown bits.
13. Add water and the crab stock. Stir until well blended.
14. Simmer everything for 10 minutes.
15. Add 1 cup of the soup into a blender at a time. Pulse until pureed.
16. Put it back into the pot, then season with salt and pepper. Simmer again for 4 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients.
17. Remove from the heat.
18. Serve and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!