When you think of comfort food, what’s the first dish that comes to your mind? For many, it’s a hearty, cheesy, and fulfilling plate of scalloped potatoes. Our version with added ham takes this classic dish to a whole new level! Whether you’re hosting a gathering or just looking for a simple weeknight dinner, this crockpot recipe is bound to be a hit. Let’s dive into this easy-to-follow recipe that promises a taste that resonates across borders.
- 10 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 8 oz package of diced ham (or you can cut your own)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (Tip: Use frozen onions for a tear-free experience!)
- 1 can of Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
- 1 can of light cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard and white pepper
For the Kicked Up Creamy Version:
- 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 1 can of fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
- Regular Version: Start by combining both soups in a large bowl. If you prefer a slightly thinner consistency, feel free to add a small splash of milk. Mix in the onions, ham, and seasonings. Slice your potatoes in half, then further into slices. Add these to the soup mixture ensuring a good coat. Transfer the mix to your crockpot and sprinkle a dash of paprika for added flavor. Set to cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. For that extra cheesy goodness, sprinkle cheddar on top during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Kicked Up Version: Keep your peeled potatoes submerged in a bowl of water to prevent browning. In a pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Incorporate the flour, stirring consistently. Pour in 1 cup of the evaporated milk, stirring on medium-high heat until the mixture becomes bubbly and thickens. Depending on your preference, you might want to use the entire can of milk. Next, stir in the cheddar soup, both Swiss and cheddar cheeses, and the seasonings. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Remember, you won’t be using the mushroom soup for this version. Slice your potatoes, mix them with onions and ham, and add them to your creamy sauce. Place everything in the crockpot and follow the cooking instructions from the regular version. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Note: While some might prefer layering the ingredients directly in the crockpot, we recommend mixing them in a bowl first. This allows the flavors to meld beautifully, enhancing the overall taste.
There you have it! A delightful dish that’s sure to impress and satisfy. Share this recipe with your friends and family, and let the comforting flavors of cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham fill your home and heart. Remember, cooking is all about experimenting and finding what works best for you, so feel free to tweak the recipe to your liking.