Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 12 hrs | Total Time: 12 hrs 20 mins | Yield: 8 Servings
This Italian Beef Ragu is the best food ever! I can’t remember how many times I’ve cooked this very delicious dish. The steps are easy, and the ingredients are not that difficult to find. Try this recipe now and I promise you that you will love it. Enjoy!
3-4 pounds beef roast the cheapest cut will do
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 sprigs handful each fresh rosemary and fresh thyme stems discarded and leaves finely chopped
1 small red onion peeled and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
1 celery stick finely chopped
375ml/ 1 ½ c red wine such as Chianti
3x400g/14ounces cans chopped tomatoes crushed tomatoes for North America
2 tbsp pearl barley optional
1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 gr fresh or dried pappardelle pasta or rigatoni
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 handfuls grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
1. Slice and chop the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Add them into a crockpot.
2. Slice the roast into 2-inches pieces.
3. Place a pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
4. Add olive oil and allow it to become hot.
5. Add the roast pieces into the pot and cook until brown. Transfer them into the pot with the sliced veggies.
6. Turn off the heat, then add wine into the pan. Scrape the bottom to get the brown bits. Transfer the content of the pan into the pot.
7. Add the canned tomatoes, barley, salt, and pepper. Stir until well mixed.
8. Cover the crockpot and cook for about 12 hours on a low setting.
9. About an hour before the cooking time ends, use two forks to shred the meat into small pieces.
10. Add more herbs and stir until well mixed. Add water or a bit of wine if the texture is too dry. Allow it to cook for one more hour.
11. Add butter and stir until melted completely.
12. Refer to the directions provided on the package of the pasta on how to cook it. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
13. Toss the pasta with 1/3 of the beef ragu, then sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan cheese on top.
14. Serve and enjoy!
Place the remaining ragu in the freezer.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!