Embark on a culinary adventure with these scrumptious Easy Chicken Flautas! Also popularly known as rolled tacos, these flautas boast a crispy exterior packed with a savory chicken filling. This recipe, curated by Starla Barnes and rigorously tested by the Allrecipes Test Kitchen, is the perfect blend of simplicity and flavor. A must-try for every home cook!
Why Chicken Flautas?
- Versatile: Serve as an appetizer, snack, or main dish.
- Family Favorite: A hit at every family gathering, these flautas are bound to be devoured in no time!
- Quick & Easy: With a preparation time of just 30 minutes, you can have a delicious meal ready in under an hour.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil (plus more for frying)
- ¼ tsp ground paprika
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 flour tortillas
- Toothpicks for securing
- Begin with the Base: In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until you achieve a smooth consistency. Add minced onions, cooking until they soften (5-10 minutes).
- Add the Flavors: Incorporate black olives, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of oil, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Stir well for about 2 minutes.
- Chicken Time: Mix in the shredded chicken, then remove the skillet from heat and cover.
- Prep for Frying: In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Assemble the Flautas: Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture. Roll them tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- Fry to Perfection: In batches, fry the rolled tortillas in hot oil until they turn a golden brown (approx. 2 minutes). Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels and serve warm.
These flautas are best enjoyed hot. Pair them with guacamole, salsa, or sour cream for dipping. A side salad or some Mexican rice can complete the meal.
- For a spicier kick, consider adding some chopped jalapeños or chili flakes to the chicken mixture.
- If you prefer a healthier alternative, these flautas can be baked in the oven until crispy.
The nutritional value of the oil for frying can vary based on the cooking time, temperature, and specific oil type used.
These Easy Chicken Flautas are not just a dish; they’re a testament to the beauty of simple ingredients coming together to create something truly delightful. Dive into this recipe and relish the burst of flavors with every bite!
Share & Enjoy!
Loved this recipe? Share it with your family and friends. Drop a comment below to share your flauta-making experience!