Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 1 hr | Total: 1 hr 20 mins | Servings: 10 | Yield: 10 servings
If you’ve never cooked rhubarb before, now’s the time to start. It is a vegetable, but you view it as fruit. It’s very tart, but it becomes deliciously sweet, like berries, when you add a little sugar and cook it down. One thing is for sure this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp recipe is one of the easiest desserts I know and the best one for me too. It is great for a spring night with a scoop of vanilla ice cream served warmly out of the oven. The leftovers are good for breakfast, too.
Although fruit desserts such as this one tend to be versatile, make sure to keep the amount of rhubarb is the same with strawberries. You’ll end up with fruit soup when you add more strawberries, which I know is tempting because they release a lot of juice. Try this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, and don’t forget to share and enjoy it with your family and friends.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter, melted
2 cups chopped strawberries
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup of cold water
½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Add and mix oats, flour, brown sugar, and butter in a bowl, press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan.
3. Then add strawberries and rhubarb on top.
4. Stir water, white sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Let it simmer, constantly whisking, until mixture bubbles and thickens, then pour over the fruit layer.
Bake until bubbling for an hour in the preheated oven.
1. If your baking dish is small, place it on top of a sheet pan lined with foil to catch any spills that can bubble around the edges.
2. The crisp can be securely frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat, uncovered, in a 300 ° F oven until serving until cooked through and crisp on top.
Per Serving: 256.9 calories; fat 10g 15% DV; cholesterol 24.4mg 8% DV; sodium 71.3mg 3% DV; protein 2.9g 6% DV; carbohydrates 40.2g 13% DV.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!