Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 1 hrs 35 mins | Total Time: 1 hrs 50 mins | Yield: 4 Servings
The sauce alone that coats the chicken is enough to satisfy all your cravings today! I usually serve this with bread. Make sure to wipe the sauce on the plate with it. Enjoy!
2 c beef broth or chicken broth
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp flour
1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs (optionally boneless and skinless)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup gruyere, grated
2 lbs. onions, sliced
1 tsp thyme, chopped
3 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Place a pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
2. Add butter and allow it to melt.
3. Add the onions, then sauté for a few minutes until a bit caramelized.
4. Add the thyme and garlic, then sauté for about a minute or until aromatic.
5. Add the flour, then whisk and cook for about a minute until it turns brown.
6. Pour in 1/2 of the broth, then scrape the bottom of the pan to get the browned bits. Stir everything until well blended and let the mixture boil.
7. Turn the heat down to low, then simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes.
8. Place another pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
9. Add oil and allow it to become hot.
10. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken, then toss until well coated.
11. Add the chicken into the pan, then sear each side for a few minutes until they turn brown.
12. Pour in the rest of the broth, then stir until well blended.
13. Add mustard and balsamic vinegar, then stir again until well mixed. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes until it reduces its volume to almost half.
14. Scatter the onions into a heat-proof pan, then lay the chicken on top and arrange them in a single layer.
15. Pour the broth over the chicken.
16. Cover the entire pan with aluminium foil.
17. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake the chicken for about 20 minutes or until done.
18. Remove the foil cover, then sprinkle a generous amount of cheese on top. Make sure to cover the top.
19. Broil for a few minutes until the cheese melts completely and turns golden brown.
20. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes at room temperature.
21. Serve and enjoy!
Calories 473, Fat 23.7g (Saturated 11.3g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 118mg, Sodium 708mg, Carbs 29.5g (Fiber 5.4g, Sugars 10g), Protein 40.6g
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!