Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr 25 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 40 mins | Yield: 6 Servings
A big thanks to my friend, Louise, for sharing this recipe with me. I am so glad that I gave this a try because I never would have tasted perfection! This French Onion Soup is just too perfect not to share with you! Try it now and prepare to fall in love. The best comfort food you will ever have. Enjoy!
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 beef bouillon
6 slices Gruyere cheese
6 tbsp butter
1 baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
¾ c dry white wine, Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio
2 large sweet onions
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt/Pepper, to taste
4 c beef broth, high quality is key
1.5 c chicken broth
4 large yellow onions, sliced into 1/4-inch cuts
3 tbsp olive oil, optional
3 tbsp flour, optional
2 Bay leaves
1. Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low.
2. Add butter and allow it to melt.
3. Add the onions and toss until well coated by the melted butter. Cook for about an hour or until they caramelize. Make sure to flip the onions every 15 minutes to prevent them from burning. We don’t want that!
4. Pour in a bit of wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to get the browned bits.
5. Sprinkle flour, then whisk and cook for about 2 minutes to remove the raw taste.
6. Add the rest of the wine and toss until well blended.
7. Add the beef broth, bay leaves, beef bouillon, chicken broth, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended.
8. Cover and simmer the mixture for about 45 minutes.
9. Prepare the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
10. Brush the top of each baguette slice with olive oil.
11. Place them inside the preheated oven and bake for about 5 minutes.
12. Turn the heat up to about 450 degrees F.
13. Add a generous amount of cheese to each baguette, then bake them for a few more minutes until the cheese has melted completely.
14. Discard the thyme stems and bay leaves from the pot, then sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
15. Spoon the soup into serving bowls, then top each with the baked baguettes.
16. Serve right away and enjoy!
Calories: 509kcal, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 30g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 61mg, Sodium: 1284mg, Potassium: 479mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 10g, Vitamin A: 638IU, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 377mg, Iron: 3mg
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!