Indulge in a luxurious dessert experience with the French Silk Chocolate Pie. Inspired by the renowned recipes from America’s Test Kitchen, this pie is a harmonious blend of silky chocolate and creamy textures. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or looking for a treat to satiate your sweet tooth, this pie promises a slice of heaven with every bite.
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup (5¼ ounces) sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and softened
- 1 pie shell, baked and cooled (See note below)
- Whipping the Cream: Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes. Once whipped, transfer the cream to a small bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
- Preparing the Egg Mixture: In a large heatproof bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, and water. Place this bowl over a medium saucepan filled with ½ inch of barely simmering water (ensure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Using the electric mixer on medium speed, beat the mixture until it thickens and reaches a temperature of 160 degrees, which should take between 7 to 10 minutes. After removing the bowl from the heat, continue beating the egg mixture until it becomes fluffy and cools down to room temperature, roughly around 8 minutes.
- Finalizing the Filling: Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract to the cooled egg mixture and beat until well combined. Gradually incorporate the softened butter, a few pieces at a time, ensuring a smooth blend. Gently fold in the whipped cream using a spatula until the mixture is uniform, with no white streaks visible. Pour this filling into the pre-baked pie shell and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours. For best results, you can refrigerate it up to 24 hours before serving.
- Pie Shell Note: A fully baked pie shell is essential for this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite pie dough or refer to the Pat-in-the-Pan Pie Dough recipe for guidance.
- Serving Suggestion: Elevate the flavors of this pie by serving it with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream. Its subtle sweetness complements the rich chocolatey texture of the pie.
Dive into the velvety layers of the French Silk Chocolate Pie and let it whisk you away to a world of chocolatey indulgence. If you’re as smitten by this pie as we are, don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends and family!