Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15mins | Ready In 25 mins
Fried Irish Cabbage with Bacon is a basic recipe pan-fried in bacon grease and filled with bacon parts and cabbage and ground black pepper seasoning. Cabbage is a food to the brain. It is packed with vitamin K and anthocyanins, which help with mental function and concentration. These nutrients also avoid nerve damage, strengthening the protection against Alzheimer’s and dementia disease. Red cabbage has the highest amount of nutrients for this strength.
I hated cabbage until, a few years ago, I tried fried cabbage, and now I enjoy it. I made it for a gathering potluck last weekend, and there were no leftovers, which was awesome. It goes well with corned beef, pot roast, grilled chicken, and even pork chops. Now, it is possible to make fried cabbage in different ways, but my favorite way is to fry it with bacon and cabbage. I like to keep the spices very basic, and only add a smoky taste with pepper.
1 (12 oz) package bacon
1/4 cup bacon drippings
(1) small head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
ground black pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp for 5 to 7 minutes in a deep skillet. Then remove bacon from the skillet, drain on a paper towel-lined plate, reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
2. Cook, stir the cabbage in hot bacon drippings until the cabbage wilts over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Crumble bacon over cabbage. Stir and simmer until bacon warms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add and season with black pepper.
1. Use any sort of bacon that you like-normal, turkey, or even vegan. Take note that turkey bacon and vegan bacon are not very fatty, and you need to add extra oil or butter.
2. Make sure not to overcook the cabbage, or it will turn into a very soft, smooth texture, and it’s just weird.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 8.5 g protein; 30 mg cholesterol; 468 mg sodium; 17.8 g fat; 7.3 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!