Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 45mins | Serves: 16
My grandfather told me that this Gooey Butter Cake is estimated that the cake first appeared in the city between the late 1930s and the early 1940s when the German population of St. Louis and the number of busy bakeries boomed. It grew into a must-have in no time. Since then, people within and beyond St. Louis have embraced the delicious cake idea, and when you make it from scratch, just like the original dough, it gets more balanced in sweetness and texture, and much more lovable. Many people eat it as a coffee-cake, some as a dessert. I’ll eat it every time, particularly with a few modern tweaks to enhance sweetness, complexity, and craving-worthy chewing levels.
There are seven ingredients in this family-friendly Gooey Butter Cake, and it takes less than ten minutes to get into the oven. In my family, it is so common that it typically vanishes within minutes. Try this recipe for Gooey Butter Cake, and enjoy it with your loved ones.
(1) yellow butter cake mix
1/2 c butter melted
(8 oz) cream cheese softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 c of powdered sugar plus more for dusting if desired
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Then grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
3. Add and mix cake mix, melted butter, and one egg. Then pat gently into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
4. Add and beat cream cheese until smooth and lump-free with a stand or hand mixer. Turn mixer to low and the eggs one at a time and mix just until incorporated. Mix in vanilla extract. Mix in powdered sugar in several increments blending just until combined. Add and pour this mixture on top of the layer in the baking dish. Make sure not to mix the two layers. Then bake until golden brown for 40-45 minutes.
5. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!