This recipe has always been a part of my family since I was little. I remember my grandma used to make this incredible soup all the time! It’s pretty much a complete meal already because it has all the components of a great lunch or dinner! Try this recipe now and prepare to be amazed. Enjoy!
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp flour
1/4 c cooking sherry
6 cubes beef bouillon or 2 tbsp beef stock paste
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 tsp thyme
8 oz Gruyere Cheese or Swiss Cheese
3 pounds of yellow onions, sliced into 1/8-inch rings
1/4 c white wine
1 baguette crusty
1/2 tsp salt
7 c water
1 tsp sugar
1. Prepare the oven and preheat to 162 degrees C or 325 degrees F.
2. Slice the baguette into 3/4-inch cuts.
3. Lay the baguette slices onto a cookie sheet.
4. Place the sheet inside the preheated oven and bake the slices for about 10 minutes.
5. Place a large stockpot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
6. Add butter and allow it to melt.
7. Add the onions and sauté until soft. Sprinkle salt and sugar, then stir until well blended.
8. Cover the pot and cook the onions for 10 minutes.
9. Remove the cover and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the onions are caramelized.
10. In the same pot with the onions, add flour. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
11. Add water, bullion, and thyme. Stir until well blended. Allow the mixture to boil.
12. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
13. Pour in sherry, white wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to get the brown bits. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
14. Place 6 oven-proof serving bowls onto a baking sheet.
15. Divide the soup among the bowls, then top each with baguette slices.
16. Place them inside the oven and broil for about 10 minutes or until the top turns brown.
17. Remove from the oven and allow them to sit for a few minutes at room temperature.
18. Serve warm and enjoy!
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!