Prep: 45 mins | Cook: 2hrs 45mins | Total: 3 hrs 30 mins |Serving: 10 | Yield: 10 servings
Halupki (Stuffed Cabbage) is very famous in our family. It is one of the recipes that we consider a family favorite. We always serve this during family gatherings because it is easy to make, and it is very delicious.
(1) head cabbage, cored
(3) quarts water to cover
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
1 ½ pounds ground pork
1 ½ cups cooked white rice
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
(2) large eggs, slightly beaten
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
¼ cup white vinegar
(2 ⅔) tbsp white sugar
1. Add and place the cabbage in a stockpot with enough water to cover.
2. Add 1/4 tsp of salt to the water and cabbage.
3. Let the water boil over medium-high heat. Turn cabbage every 2-3 minutes and remove leaves that separate from cabbage and place in a strainer to cool. Boil for 15 minutes until all the leaves have cooked.
4. Reserve 12 oz. of cabbage water.
5. Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
6. Trim thick center vein off of the bottom of each cabbage leaf.
7. Add and mix ground beef, ground pork, rice, chopped onion, fresh parsley, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl thoroughly.
8. Pack a small amount of meat mixture lightly, add and place it in the center of the cabbage leaf.
9. Fold the sides over the filling and start at the stem and roll the cabbage up until the meat is encased. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
10. Cut the leftover leaves into pieces and put it into the bottom of a roasting pan.
11. Layer the stuffed cabbage rolls over the cut leaves.
12. In a bowl, add and mix the tomato sauce, reserved cabbage water, white vinegar, and white sugar.
13. Add and pour tomato sauce mixture over the cabbage rolls.
14. Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil.
15. Bake until the ground beef mixture is no longer pink in the center, about 2 1/2 hours in the preheated oven. Baste stuffed cabbage rolls every hour.
Per Serving: 467.9 calories; 137.3 mg cholesterol; 715 mg sodium; 28.1 g protein; 21.7 g carbohydrates.
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!