Every culture has its signature desserts, and among them, the Honey Castella Cake stands out with its soft, fluffy texture and delightful sweetness. Originating from Asian traditions, this cake has transcended borders, offering a melt-in-the-mouth experience to dessert lovers worldwide. Our variation, the Honey Castella Muffin, is a delightful mini version that’s perfect for tea-time treats or dessert gatherings. Intrigued? Let’s embark on this sweet journey together and create muffins that not only taste heavenly but also linger in memories. And remember, good food is meant to be shared, so spread the joy by sharing this recipe with your loved ones!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup (160g/ 5Oz) sugar
- 40ml honey
- 30ml milk
- A pinch of salt (approx. 1g)
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 165g/ 5.8Oz cake flour (or all-purpose flour as an alternative)
- 5ml vanilla extract
- Sesame seeds (optional for garnishing)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 170°C (338°F).
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, vegetable oil, salt, vanilla extract, and honey. Whisk the ingredients together until they form a smooth mixture.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until they become foamy. Gradually add the sugar in three portions, ensuring that each addition is well incorporated before adding the next. Continue beating until you achieve a medium-peak meringue consistency.
- Gently fold the egg yolks into the meringue mixture, ensuring a smooth blend.
- Sift the cake flour into the mixture and fold gently, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Take a small portion of the cake batter and mix it with the earlier prepared milk-oil-honey mixture. Once blended, fold this back into the main cake batter until uniformly mixed.
- Pour the final batter into your preferred muffin molds or a square pan lined with parchment paper. If desired, sprinkle sesame seeds on top for an added crunch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Afterward, reduce the temperature to 160°C (320°F) and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Once baked, allow the muffins to cool within the molds. After cooling, you can serve them immediately or, for an enhanced flavor, wrap them up and enjoy the next day.
- Castella Cake’s Origin: The roots of Castella cake trace back to Portuguese merchants who introduced it to Japan in the 16th century. Over time, it has been adapted and cherished in various Asian cultures.
- Storage Tips: These muffins taste even better the day after baking. For optimal flavor, wrap them after they’ve completely cooled and savor them the next day.
- Serving Suggestions: Pair these muffins with a warm cup of green tea or your favorite coffee blend for a perfect afternoon treat.
Dive into the world of delightful desserts with these Honey Castella Muffins. Remember, every bite is a trip down memory lane, a blend of tradition, and pure joy. If this recipe brings a smile to your face, don’t forget to share it with friends and family. Happy baking!