Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 3 hrs 15 mins | Total Time: 3 hrs 35 mins | Yield: 8 Servings
I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! Oh, man, this New Orleans Red Beans and Rice will never disappoint, I’m telling you! The best comfort food that will satisfy not just your cravings, but your soul as well! Enjoy!
1 tomato, diced
2 jalapenos stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ pound ham, smoked, chopped into 1/2-inch dice (a generous c)
1 pound of dried red beans
1 large meaty ham bone (or use a bone from a cooked pork butt roast)
2 teaspoon thyme seeds, dried
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ c red wine vinegar
½ pound andouille sausage, smoked, chopped into 1/2-inch dice (a generous c)
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 bay leaves
Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
Steamed white rice for serving
1. In a large pot with 2-inches of water, add the dried beans. Allow the beans to soak in the water overnight, then drain.
2. In a large stockpot, add 1 gallon of water, beans, bay leaves, and ham bone. Turn the heat to medium and simmer.
3. Place a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium,
4. Add the ham and sausage, then cook for about 8 minutes or until brown.
5. Add the onion, then sauté until translucent.
6. Add the garlic, mustard, tomato, jalapenos, thyme, cayenne, black pepper, vinegar, and salt. Stir until well blended. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Transfer the sausage mixture into the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well blended. Simmer everything for about 3 hours. Make sure to stir from time to time.
8. Mash the beans with a wooden spoon. Discard the bay leaves and bones.
9. Serve right away with rice. Enjoy!
Calories: 378 kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1514mg | Potassium: 1019mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 271IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 5mg
Don't forget to like & share this recipe with your friends, I appreciate your help & support, and if you would like to see more recipes check out the next page!