Dive into a burst of citrusy goodness with our Orange Cake, enriched with freshly squeezed orange zest. This cake is not just about the tantalizing flavor of oranges, but it’s also about the joy of baking something so fragrant that it fills your entire kitchen with its aroma. Perfect for sunny afternoons or as a refreshing dessert post a hearty meal, this orange cake is bound to win hearts.
- 1¾ cup (265g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ sticks butter (2/3 cup/141g) (softened)
- ¾ cup (165g) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup (120ml) milk
- 3 oz (90ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest from 1 large orange
- Begin your culinary journey by preheating your oven to 350°F (180°C). While it’s warming up, generously grease and flour an 8-inch baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda. This ensures a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Take another bowl, and let’s start with the creamy magic. Blend the softened butter and sugar until you get a light and fluffy mixture. This would usually take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, introduce the eggs into this creamy mixture, one at a time. Ensure each egg is well incorporated before adding the next.
- It’s time to alternate and mix. Add half of your previously sifted flour mixture to the bowl, followed by half of the milk and half of the orange juice. Mix well.
- Continue by adding the remaining flour, milk, and orange juice. Blend until you have a smooth and consistent batter.
- The final touch? Gently fold in the orange zest, ensuring it’s evenly distributed.
- Carefully pour your batter into the pre-prepared baking tin.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 55 minutes. You can perform the classic toothpick test: insert a toothpick or a skewer in the center, and if it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- Once baked to perfection, remove the cake and let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack, allowing it to cool completely.
Our Orange Cake with Fresh Orange Zest is a celebration of citrus. Its moist, tender crumb and fragrant aroma make it a favorite for many. Pair it with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And if you’ve enjoyed baking and tasting this delightful treat, do share the recipe with friends and family. After all, the joy of a delicious dessert is best when shared!