Indulge in the refreshing and tangy flavors of our Orange Sponge Cake. Each bite radiates the essence of freshly squeezed orange juice and the aromatic allure of orange zest. This isn’t just a cake; it’s a symphony of citrus notes dancing on your palate. The soft and spongy texture combined with the rich orange fragrance makes this dessert a favorite for any occasion. If you’ve been searching for the perfect balance of sweetness and zest in a cake, look no further!
- 4 eggs
- 150 grams (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 125 grams (about 1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) orange juice
- Orange zest (from 1 large orange)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Cream of tartar (optional for meringue stability)
- Begin by greasing a round baking pan and lining it with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Carefully separate the egg yolks from the whites. Keep the whites aside for later.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites on low speed until large bubbles form. For added stability, introduce a pinch of cream of tartar. Continue whisking until the mixture forms smaller bubbles.
- Gradually add half the sugar to the egg whites, whisking until stiff peaks form. This is your meringue.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, the remaining sugar, and a pinch of salt. Beat this mixture until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Slowly pour in the corn oil, blending until smoothly combined. Stir in the orange zest and fresh orange juice until the mixture is harmoniously blended.
- In another bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Gently incorporate the sifted dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture.
- Gradually fold in the prepared meringue in three batches using a balloon whisk. Use a spatula to ensure the batter is well-mixed, taking care not to deflate the meringue.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared baking pan, gently tapping the pan on the countertop to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake the cake at 180°C (350°F) for about 25 to 30 minutes. However, remember that oven temperatures may vary. It’s always best to keep an eye on your cake and adjust baking times as needed.
- A golden rule for sponge cakes: avoid opening the oven door during the first 30 minutes of baking. This can cause the cake to collapse.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and transfer it to a wire rack. Let it cool completely before serving.
Notes/Conclusion: The Orange Sponge Cake is versatile and pairs wonderfully with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, or even fresh berries on top. The key to a perfect sponge cake lies in the meringue, so ensure those egg whites reach stiff peaks! Share this delightful citrus-infused recipe with friends and family, and let the refreshing flavors of orange brighten up your day. Enjoy!