PAPRIKA SMASHED POTATOES
This recipe is so simple, you will only need 5 ingredients without counting salt and pepper! The secret to making crispy paprika smashed potatoes is to cook the potatoes twice – at first, you boil the potatoes for about 18 to 20 minutes until they become soft, then you smash them and add seasoning then bake. You will be surprised as to how much crispy, golden and thin the potatoes will turn out to be! This recipe is perfect appetizer and you can even make it with sweet potatoes.
STEP BY STEP TO MAKING SMASHED POTATOES
What’s special about this recipe, is that you can prepare it ahead and then bake it right before you’re ready to eat. You can boil the potatoes a day ahead, then leave the last steps (smashing and baking) for when you want to eat them. This is how to make these crispy smashed potatoes :
- In salted water, boil the potatoes for 18 to 20 minutes
- Combine paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder then leave them on the side until the potatoes are boiled.
- Drain then pat dry the potatoes. (If you’re prepping this recipe in advance, store the potatoes overnight.)
- When you’re finally ready to bake the potatoes, take a large glass then gently smash them with it.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and lightly brush with virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoning you combined earlier over the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the smashed potatoes look crispy and golden.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SMASHED POTATOES
These paprika smashed potatoes make a perfect side dish, it can be paired with proteins and some green veggies. You can serve these potatoes with any sauce that you like, if you want to make a homemade sauce for your french fries or potatoes you can mix: ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Swap baby gold potatoes for baby sweet potatoes.
- Use the seasoning that you fancy, we suggest fresh thyme, rosemary, parmesan, or lemon zest.
- If you’re a fan of spicy potatoes add some crushed red pepper or use smoked hot paprika.
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED POTATOES?
PAPRIKA SMASHED POTATOES
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt, then stir the let it boil for about 18 - 20 minutes. Remove from water and pat dry, gently press using the bottom of a glass to smash the potato.
- In a small bowl combine paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Place potatoes in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan. Lightly brush potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle both sides of each potato with the seasoning mix.
- Bake 20 minutes, until crisp and golden then garnish with parsley.