Welcome to the world of easy and delightful baking! If you’re someone who loves simplicity but doesn’t want to compromise on taste, then this simple 3-ingredient sponge cake is just for you. Originating from traditional kitchens, this cake offers a perfect blend of softness and savor. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this recipe will surely win the hearts of those who taste it. Let’s dive into the making of this timeless delight.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a round or square cake pan and line it with parchment paper for ease of removal.
- Whipping the Eggs: In a large mixing bowl, crack open 5 eggs. Whip these eggs on low speed for about a minute to break them down.
- Adding Sugar: Gradually add the sugar in two separate additions. Make sure to whip in between until the sugar fully dissolves into the egg mixture. This process should result in a mixture that’s light, fluffy, and has doubled in size. This should take about 8 minutes after adding the second batch of sugar.
- Incorporating Flour: Sift in one cup of all-purpose flour into your egg and sugar mixture. Gently fold using a spatula. Remember, this step requires a soft touch. Being aggressive will break the air structure formed by the eggs, which could result in a dense cake.
- Baking with a Water Bath: Pour your batter into the prepared cake pan. Place this cake pan over a larger tray. Pour hot water into the larger tray to create a water bath for the cake. This technique ensures that the cake bakes evenly from the inside out.
- Baking Time: Bake the cake in your preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven, and while it’s still hot, remove the parchment paper. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
Dust your cooled sponge cake with some powdered sugar for a classic touch. If you’re feeling a bit fancy, top the cake with whipped cream or fresh fruits.
- Always be gentle when folding the batter to retain the airiness of the cake.
- The water bath is crucial for baking. Don’t skip this step.
- Perfect for tea time or as a base for layered cakes.
Thank you for trying out our simple 3-ingredient sponge cake recipe. If you love it, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Happy baking!